1 savoy cabbage
1 tin chopped tomatoes
Other veg – a few mushrooms or courgettes or whatever you like
- Parboil the cabbage, drain, put aside to cool.
- In a big bowl mix sausagemeat, finely chopped onion, other veg chopped up
- Open up the cabbage leaf by leaf, cut out the very centre. Chop up the centre and mix it in with the sausagemeat.
- Gradually rebuild the cabbage, putting a bit of sausagemeat mix in as you go, holding it all together.
- Lift the whole cabbage into a casserole just big enough to hold it all together.
- Melt about 1/4 lb of butter with 1oz of flour in saucepan then gradually add the tin of chopped tomatoes, stirring steadily over heat til you have a thickish sauce, add salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over cabbage, grate cheese on top.
- Bake in the oven slowly for 3 hours.